Menu

Historic Hernando Preservation Society

Historic Sidewalk Dedication

Contributed by: Mary Moses

The day of January 9th may have been dreary and overcast, but the spirit of Historic Hernando Preservation Society was anything but. This day was the culmination of planning and coordinating that would save a piece of history.

On September 22, 2014, Don Moses, on behalf of the Historic Hernando Preservation Society, presented the City of Brooksville with a proposal to save a portion of historic sidewalk from the corner of Howell and Olive Street. This particular piece of sidewalk bore the date “January 6, 1914.” This sidewalk was raised to accommodate carriages, and allowed ladies to disembark the carriage without showing their ankle. It was a piece of history that could have been lost during the 2015 demolition. 

Bill Geiger, Community Development Director of Brooksville, agreed to coordinate with Historic Hernando Preservation Society and the contractors to preserve this section of the sidewalk.

The Hernando Historical Museum Association President, Ron Daniel, agreed to consider placement of the sidewalk at the 1885 Train Depot on Russell Street in Brooksville. The Museum Board agreed to the placement. 

Daniel Construction donated the gravel necessary to form a bed for the placement, and Accuform Signs of Brooksville donated the historical signage explaining the historical significance of the sidewalk. (See the signage text at: http://historichernandopreservationsociety.org/entries/local-history/howell-avenue-historical-sidewalks) At the dedication, President Don Moses shared the significance of historical preservation. Mary Sheldon of the Museum Association spoke of the importance of preserving artifacts. Bill Geiger of the City of Brooksville spoke of the significance of organizations working together to preserve history. All three shared in the ribbon cutting ceremony. 

Those in attendance enjoyed refreshments prepared by both the Historic Hernando Preservation Society and the Hernando Historical Museum Association. 

The ribbon cutting took place following the dedication of the walkway of the Countryman One Room Schoolhouse. This dedication marked the one year anniversary of the schoolhouse dedication. Gretchen Countryman and Mary Waller of the Hernando Historical Museum Association planned and executed this wonderful community event. Attendees were treated to hand embossed programs to take home from the event as souvenirs.

See also: 

Go Back

Stay Informed

Join the Mailing List
Enter your name and email address below:
Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe